This smashed sweet potatoes recipe add a delicious twist to what is already a supreme ingredient. Garlic butter and a handful of parmesan cheese take the humble sweet potato to new heights.
Delicious food does not come easier. Boil some sweet potatoes then lightly flatten them with a fork. Pour over some melted garlic butter. Broil the sweet potatoes for a little while before adding some parmesan cheese for an extra umami kick. Broil again until the cheese has melted. Season with a little extra salt and garnish with fresh parsley.
Smashed sweet potatoesCourse: SidesCuisine: NamibianDifficulty: Easy
Melted garlic butter and parmesan cheese add salty and umami notes to the natural sweetness of the sweet potatoes. Scrumptious and delicious.
1 kilogram sweet potatoes
3 tablespoons melted butter
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
salt and black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- Pre-heat your oven to 200 ℃. Switch on the grill function.
- Place sweet potatoes in a large pot of salted water. Bring to the boil; cook, covered for 30-35 minutes or until just tender. Drain well. Lightly grease a large baking sheet olive oil. Arrange the sweet potatoes onto the sheet and use a fork to LIGHTLY flatten the sweet potatoes disks in one piece (not too hard or they will end up mashed).
- Mix together the butter, garlic and parsley. Pour the mixture over each portion of sweet potato. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and rub lightly with olive oil.
- Grill until they are golden and crispy (about 10-15 minutes). Remove from oven, sprinkle over the parmesan cheese and return to the oven until the cheese is melted.
- To serve, season with a little extra salt and parsley, and serve immediately.
- You could also use cooked leftover sweet potato if you have some.